Skip to content

feat(ubi): Add and use UBI10 base image #1349

Description

@Techassi

This issue tracks the addition and usage/replacement of the UBI10 base image. There are currently two options:

  • Add and use the UBI10 image alongside the current UBI9 image
  • Add and use the UBI10 image to completely replace the current UBI9 image

There already is a branch which includes a few basic changes to add and build the UBI10 image. This PoC worked and an image could be built, but the image was not tested to be used as the base of our operator container images.

Activity

  1. moved this to Ready for Development in Stackable Engineeringon Nov 19, 2025
  2. Techassi commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @Techassi
    MemberAuthor

    I'm happy to work on this after I've completed the work for stackabletech/stackablectl#220.

  3. NickLarsenNZ commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    @lfrancke do we need to keep the UBI9 image around (I recall needing to keep the UBI8 image maintained for some time before we dropped it)?

  4. lfrancke commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @lfrancke
    Member

    Help me with that question: I personally don't need it. But should we need to release a patch for e.g. 25.11 would we need the old base image around?
    And if so: We don't want to ship an image based on a UBI9 that hasn't been updated for a year.

    That was my only "fear" here. If that is irrational or I'm missing something then it can go. That is the only thing I want to make sure of: Being able to easily release patches for our supported SDP versions if needed.

  5. moved this to Selected for Development in Stackable End-to-End Coordinationon Nov 19, 2025
  6. NickLarsenNZ commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    But should we need to release a patch for e.g. 25.11 would we need the old base image around?

    I think we have enough safe-guards should that happen:

    So I'd be fine with dropping it when we can show that we can build images on ubi10. Also happy to just keep it around for a release if that eases concern.

  7. lfrancke commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @lfrancke
    Member

    I'm happy to defer that decision to you. That was my only concern.

  8. moved this from Ready for Development to Development: In Progress in Stackable Engineeringon Dec 1, 2025
  9. moved this from Selected for Development to In Progress in Stackable End-to-End Coordinationon Dec 3, 2025
  10. NickLarsenNZ commented on Dec 18, 2025

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    Reverted the PR with #1364 and will reopen this issue (which is pending boost-devel being available in UBI10 or EPEL10).

  11. lfrancke commented on Jan 7, 2026

    @lfrancke
    Member

    Upstream issue that's blocking us: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/RHEL-136868

  12. NickLarsenNZ commented on Jan 13, 2026

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    @lfrancke, I haven't seen any movement on the upstream issue. Do you want to ping them or is it still too early?

  13. StefanFl commented on Jan 28, 2026

    @StefanFl
    Member

    Using UBI 10 would help our supply chain security a lot, because it currently has no known vulnerabilities, compared to UBI 9 which currently has 80 vulnerabilities according to Trivy.

  14. NickLarsenNZ commented on Feb 4, 2026

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    In the version bump meeting today, we decided to wait until there is a response from RedHat (Lars has raised it in the partner portal too).

  15. added
    release-noteDenotes a PR that will be considered when it comes time to generate release notes.
    and removed on Mar 16, 2026
  16. sbernauer commented on Mar 16, 2026

    @sbernauer
    Member

    @Techassi will add a short release note about the SDP 26.3 operator bump parts

  17. NickLarsenNZ commented on Apr 21, 2026

    @NickLarsenNZ
    Member

    We have decided to install boost libraries ourselves, as they will not be part of EPEL10.

  18. sbernauer commented on Jun 15, 2026

    @sbernauer
    Member

    Quick update: Since #1511 boost is build from source (thanks to @razvan).

  19. lfrancke commented on Jun 17, 2026

    @lfrancke
    Member

    We decided to skip this for 26.7 and will pick it up again for 26.11.
    Reasons: a) We're close to the release and b) upstream work happening in Hadoop which we'd like to wait for

  20. moved this from In Progress to In Refinement in Stackable End-to-End Coordinationon Aug 19, 2026
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Assignees

Labels

release-noteDenotes a PR that will be considered when it comes time to generate release notes.

Type

No type

Projects

Milestone

No milestone

Relationships

None yet

Development

No branches or pull requests

Issue actions